The Strategic Plan for Asthma in Massachusetts
In partnership with the MA Department of Public Health, MAAP facilitates the process of developing, planning, and implementing the five-year Strategic Plan for Asthma in Massachusetts. The document represents a collaborative effort from many stakeholders to provide a strategic direction for reducing the burden of asthma while reducing disparities in asthma outcomes.
Excerpts from the Strategic Plan for Asthma in MA (2015-2020):
This strategic plan represents a coordinated approach that targets both the clinical and environmental aspects of asthma. It relies on a strong surveillance system to inform its work. Active statewide and local partnerships are required to accomplish these goals.
The strategic plan is a living document that reflects the priorities of the partners and the opportunities available at the time of drafting. It spans the five years of 2015 - 2020. However, it will be updated at the midway point to ensure that it continues to reflect the partners’ priorities and state opportunities. Objectives of new partners will be added as necessary.
The Burden of Asthma in Massachusetts report, published in 2014, is a companion document. It presents data that highlights the continued Executive Summary 12 | Strategic Plan for Asthma in Massachusetts need for aggressive action to improve asthma outcomes in the Commonwealth to address the pressing burden of the disease. The surveillance data contained in the Burden Document informed the goals, objectives, and targets of this plan.
There are seven goals in this plan:
- Enhance asthma surveillance to inform asthma prevention and control efforts in Massachusetts
- Reduce disparities in asthma outcomes for Massachusetts residents
- Improve asthma management for Massachusetts residents
- Reduce exposure to environmental factors that cause and/or exacerbate asthma in Massachusetts
- Advance the primary prevention of asthma in Massachusetts with innovative evidence-based initiatives to reduce risk factors that contribute to asthma onset
- Increase capacity of the statewide and local partnerships to implement the plan
- Evaluate Massachusetts’ progress on the plan